Dear Sir or Madame:
Thank you for requesting information about the Issels Integrative Oncology, or Integrative Cancer Medicine, as practiced at our Centers. One of our consultants will contact you shortly via phone and email to answer any questions you may have.
In the meantime, we are providing you with general information about our Integrative Oncology programs and their costs at our in-patient and out-patient facilities in the USA and abroad.
Our Integrative Oncology Strategy
Integrative Oncology as practiced at our Centers is based on, and an expansion of, the very comprehensive cancer treatment strategy developed by Josef M. Issels, M.D., the world-renowned German pioneer of integrative cancer medicine. This treatment strategy places equal importance on the elimination of the tumors as well as of the underlying causes for the suppression of the body's immune, regulatory and repair mechanisms to enable healing. In his efforts to achieve this goal, Dr. Issels created Integrative Immunotherapy as the essential part of his integrative cancer treatment. This has been the principle of the Issels Treatment® for decades and is one of the reasons for its remarkable
long-term remissions of advanced cancers. Recent cases can be viewed on our website: www.issels.com/videos.aspx.
Our Integrative Oncology Centers™ Locations
- Issels Medical Center in Santa Barbara, California, USA, our out-patient facility, is directed by Dr. Christian N. Issels, the son of Dr. Josef Issels. Dr. Christian N. Issels and his medical team administer very comprehensive, immunobiologic treatment programs and include advanced targeted cancer therapies when indicated. Targeted cancer therapies are medications that block the growth and spread of cancer cells by interfering with specific molecules needed for tumor growth and progression of the disease. They are not only less toxic than standard chemotherapy, but they have also been shown to improve outcomes as they are matched with specific gene mutations in patients.
The Issels Medical Center is located in the heart of beautiful Santa Barbara, in close proximity to the major hospital, fitness centers, health food stores and a variety of restaurants. Patients from out-of-town find accommodation at special rates in nearby suite hotels meeting all preferences, or fully furnished spacious apartments with ocean view and beach access.
- Issels Integrative Oncology Center, Tijuana, Mexico, situated in the most modern hospital of the largest private hospital chain of 22 hospitals in Mexico that meets all US and international accreditation standards. The hospital's pending JCI Accreditation demonstrates the hospital's compliance with the highest standards in patient care and safety according to International Patient Safety Goal requirements. JCI Accreditation facilitates reimbursement of treatment costs. [JCI is the Joint Commission International, a non-profit healthcare accreditation for hospitals outside of the USA.]
The hospital features the most modern diagnostic and therapeutic services and many additional amenities including a pharmacy, an
inviting restaurant and community areas, spacious private rooms, 16 suites, 4 master suites and more. To view photos of the facility on our website, please click here. The hospital is located in an upscale commercial area of Tijuana just across the border from San Diego, California.
We provide free shuttle service from the airport to the hospital. A heliport is also available at the hospital in Tijuana, Mexico.
Our Immunotherapy programs are based upon decades of extensive experience with the integration of cancer vaccines into a personalized comprehensive treatment program designed to restore homeostasis to the internal bodily environment, which is a precondition for long-term remission. This approach distinguishes itself decisively from the mere administration of vaccines and has achieved a unique track record of unusual results.
The Immunotherapy Protocols administered at our in-patient facilities include autologous vaccine and cell therapies that are prepared from your "own immune cells", by evaluating and using their molecular profile. Hence they are "individualized" and specific, which enhances their potency.
Our doctors have extensive experience in administering various combinations of the following depending on the specific diagnosis:
- Extracorporeal Photopheresis (FDA-approved for cutaneous T-cell lymphoma due to research by Richard L. Edelson, Carole L. Berger, et al., Yale University, USA) that provides immunomodulatory properties.
- Autologous Dendritic Cell Vaccine. Dendritic cells are key regulators of immune responses and orchestrate innate and adaptive immunities. They are the most potent antigen-presenting cells and have the potential to invoke an anti-tumor immune response.
- Prostate Cancer Vaccine, which is designed to stimulate a patient's immune system to target prostate cancer cells. The preparation of the vaccine involves culturing the patient's peripheral monocytes in vitro in the presence of a recombinant growth factor, special cytokines and their own prostate-specific antigen, which is fractionated into peptides in order to achieve a more specific immune response.
- Lymphokine-Activated Killer Cells, also known as LAK Cells, which are autologous lymphocytes that in the presence of Interleukin-2 are expanded and activated to kill cancer cells.
- Activated Natural Killer Cells, also known as NK Cells, which are autologous natural killer cells, a type of lymphocytes of the innate immune system, that in the presence of Interleukin-21 and special cytokines are expanded and activated to kill cancer cells.
- Stem Cell and Lymphokine-Activated Killer Cell Procedure, which consists in the activation of lymphocytes in vivo. Stem Cells aid in the repair of organs and tissues damaged by cancer, previous cancer treatments or chronic and degenerative conditions.
- Systemic Hyperthermia, which enhances immune functions.
- Autologous Cytokines to continue activating your immune system for the first four months of the home care program.
As the dendritic cell vaccine and cell therapies work on the cellular level of your immune system, we integrate them into the comprehensive immunobiologic core treatment program that also addresses the humoral and innate immune system.The immunobiologic core treatment may include, but is not limited to:
- Anticancer intravenous therapies with natural substances
- Oxidative Therapy to activate cellular respiration and improve blood oxygenation
- Enzymatic Therapy with proteolytic enzymes to aid in the elimination of immune suppressive factors and in digestion
- Autohemotherapy and other immunobiologic therapies to enhance innate immunities
- Phytotherapy to stimulate cancer fighting properties
- Nutritional Immunotherapy with Probiotics
- Psychological and Emotional Support
- Strategies to improve Elimination of metabolic residues, toxic metabolites due to cancer and standard cancer treatments
- Education in a healthy lifestyle
The treatment components enhance each other and their effectiveness is optimized through their integration into a treatment system that addresses the different levels of the body's complex immune, regulatory and repair mechanisms. This treatment strategy provides the basis for long-term remission and healing.
Integrative Immunotherapy programs can be administered as
Complimentary Medical Records Review
- Treatment of patients who have exhausted, or do not opt for, conventional treatments. Clinical experience has shown that even in advanced stages of cancer an immune response with complete tumor remission can be achieved.
- Treatment in conjunction with Advanced Targeted Cancer Therapies.
- Follow-up Treatment after conventional treatment to boost the suppressed immune functions, with the aim to reduce the risk of recurrence, and improve the outcomes.
- Adjunctive/Complementary Treatment with the aim to enhance the effectiveness of conventional treatments, and decrease their side effects.
Patients who would like to proceed are encouraged to fax the reports of the pathology, of the latest PET/CT scan, bone scan, MRI, surgical summary and laboratory examinations:
- For the in-patient facilities, please send the fax to 1.619.615.2233 from the USA and Canada, or 001.619.615.2233 from abroad; or
- For the out-patient facility at the Issels Medical Center in Santa Barbara, CA, please send the fax to 1.805.962.2127.
After thorough evaluation of the medical condition, our doctors will propose an individualized treatment program, if they feel that they can help. We can also schedule a doctor’s consultation by telephone.
Integrative Oncology Programs and their Costs
Our Integrative Oncology programs are initiated by a two- to four-week intensive treatment at the hospital or clinic and always followed by an immune-stimulating home care program for several months under medical guidance.
Issels Integrative Oncology Center, Tijuana, Mexico
Ambulatory patients have the option to initiate the Dendritic Cell Vaccine and the Lymphokine-Activated Killer Cell Therapy during a 7-day program at the hospital, which would cost up to USD 22,500, including hospital services.
The two-week in-hospital program including the Dendritic Cell Vaccine, the Lymphokine-Activated Killer Cells, Activated Natural Killer Cells, and the Autologous Cytokines for four months of home care would cost up to USD 39,300, including hospital services.
The total cost of the treatment program depends on the specific protocol that our doctors will design for the individual medical condition and will be within the range as mentioned above. Patients have the option to extend their in-hospital stay at an additional cost of approximately USD 8,250 per week depending on the medical services required.
Issels Medical Center, Santa Barbara, California, USA
Intensive immunobiologic Treatment Program
The comprehensive immunobiologic treatment programs are always individualized through very specialized, non-invasive testing methods and integrate safe, research-based treatment modalities. Preference is given to the most effective and least invasive methods.
The package price for the intensive immunobiologic treatment program at the Issels Medical Center in Santa Barbara, California amounts to USD 6,800 per week and can be paid by credit card in weekly increments.
Advanced Targeted Cancer Therapies are available if indicated.
The vaccine program can be initiated by ambulatory patients within a 5-day stay at the hospital.
Most private insurance companies will reimburse patients for a portion of treatments received at our centers. References for assistance in obtaining reimbursement are available
Please feel free to get in touch with us regarding our in-patient and out-patient treatment facilities and programs and we will attend to your specific needs.
The toll free phone number for all Centers is 1.888.447.7357 from the USA and Canada, from overseas 001.888.447.7357.
We look forward to hearing from you and would be pleased to assist you.
Issels Integrative Oncology Centers